Dr. Theodosis of Eastlake Family Dentistry is a dentist in Chula Vista, California who has committed his career to helping others achieve healthy smiles. While many patients believe that brushing and flossing at home each day is the best way to care for the smile, there is more to it than just that! Regular tooth brushing, flossing, and office care are the three top ways to keep the smile healthy. But why do I need to visit the dentist regularly?
Maintaining a regular appointment schedule with your dentist in Chula Vista is vital to your oral health and wellness for many reasons:
- These cleanings done at every visit can help in removing plaque, tartar, and calculus that cannot be removed with brushing and flossing alone at home.
- Examinations every six months allow the dental team the opportunity to monitor oral health over time and catch early signs of disease and decay.
- Conditions such as periodontal disease can carry bacteria throughout the body, leaving patients at risk for various medical concerns such as strokes, heart disease, and diabetes.
- Routine oral examinations also allow the dental team to look for signs of oral cancer, which can be treated most effectively in its earliest stages.
- Certain protective treatments, such as dental sealants and fluoride treatments, can be offered and applied during these visits to further protect the smile from cavities and disease.
In addition to dental sealants and fluoride treatment, Chula Vista patients can also use these appointments to ask about cosmetic treatments they may desire to improve the appearance of their smiles.
What are some tips for a healthier smile?
Below are just a few recommendations from Dr. Theodosis and his team at Eastlake Family Dentistry regarding ways to achieve and maintain a healthy smile:
- Brushing with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoride toothpaste after every meal is strongly encouraged to remove food particles while freshening the breath.
- Patients should floss at least once a day, or after every meal if possible. Food particles can become trapped between teeth and contribute to the development of bacteria and decay.
- Dental cleanings are a great way for professionals to remove plaque and tartar from the smile in a way that patients cannot achieve at home.
- Regular evaluations, with or without x-rays, play a critical role in one’s oral health and wellness. Seeing a dentist on a regular basis allows a professional to keep an eye out for conditions such as decay and disease that can impact the smile.
- Do not be afraid to ask your dentist questions! Our team is here to help and we welcome questions about ways to take care of the smile between visits.
- Proactive approach. Instead of waiting for dental problems to arise, patients will find that it is easier and more affordable to attend regular dental visits and cleanings to keep the smile healthy. If problems arise, such as bleeding gums or a severe toothache, a visit to the dentist needs to be made ASAP for an evaluation and proper diagnosis.
- Reduce or eliminate your consumption of sugary foods and beverages, which can contribute to the development of cavities and disease.
Contact a dentist near you to learn more about good oral health habits
If you reside in the area of Chula Vista, California, and are ready to speak with Dr. Theodosis about ways to achieve and maintain good oral health habits, we encourage you to book a consultation visit with our team today! Call (619) 421-2828 to request a time with the staff at Eastlake Family Dentistry. The office is located in Village Walk Medical Center at 890 Eastlake Parkway, Suite #201, and accepts new and established patients and families seeking comprehensive dental care.